Exhibits | 展品
Lam Yue Fau, a Hakka native of Fui Yong Ma On, Guangdong province, was born in 1930. He has no siblings. In 1950, in the wake of the Liberation, it was hard to make a living in Mainland China, so his father encouraged him to move to Hong Kong. During his career he has worked in the military, drove a taxi, and also ran his own food and catering business.

林悅阜,客家人,1930年出生,籍貫廣東惠陽馬鞍。家中獨子。1950年解放後內地生活困難,父親要他到香港謀生。曾在軍部工作 ,9後來曾當計程車司機,經營伙食生意。

In the 1930s Lam Yuk Sing (deceased) moved from Leung Fa village to Ma On to teach martial arts. Lam Yuk Sing was the famous master Lam Hap’s son. He taught Lam Gar Gau kung fu, which has a well-known couplet, “teachings from Hoi Fung bear an amazing career, arts from Wah Sau derive real knowledge”. Lam Yuk Sing also travelled to single-surname Hakka villages in Bo Luo and Ho Yun to teach martial arts. Back then it was necessary to pass through Ma On and then Leung Fa village when travelling from Fui Yong to Fuichiu. Nowadays it takes about thirty-five minutes to go from one village to the other by car. At the time Master Lam Yuk Sing lived in a shed next to the ancestral temple in Ma On, and his every need was attended to by his students (most of whom studied martial arts with him), who took turns to care for the master, such as preparing hot water in the morning and evening, etc. From the age of eight Lam Yue Fau started martial arts training with other young villagers, which routinely took place in the village martial arts school after dinner. Training consisted of kung fu and Hakka lion dance (called dau ngau si). This was in the early period of the Japanese occupation. His father and two uncles, Lam Kau Yong and Lam Yam Yeung, also practiced martial arts. His fourth uncle Lam Yam Yeung, in particular, was a very good martial artist. There was a gas lamp in each of the four corners in the martial arts school, and kung fu practice provided the main entertainment outside of agricultural work.


In 1949 the People’s Republic of China was founded. Every month hundreds of thousands of refugees rushed to Hong Kong. By the mid-1950s Hong Kong’s population reached 2.2 million. By 1956 Hong Kong became one of the most densely populated cities in the world. Lam Yue Fau fled to Hong Kong with his father in 1950, and took lodgings in Tung Tau village across from San Po Kong, where his grandfather raised pigs. In 1951 Tung Tau village caught fire so the family moved to Wong Tai Sin.


Before retirement Lam Yue Fou worked in the military. In 1960 the old military base on Argyle Street was gradually being phased out, so he opened a food business in Wong Tai Sing market, selling potatoes, tomatoes, etc. In 1967 riots ran amok in Hong Kong and the city was thrown into chaos, so Lam Yue Fau changed to driving a taxi. At the same time he started to teach his colleagues kung fu. In the morning he practiced on Tsz Wan Shan, and in the evening he practiced in Wong Tai Sin Morse Park. In the post-Reform period, Lam Yue Fou frequently went back to his native village. During the 80s he brough Hakka unicorns and music instruments from Hong Kong back to Mainland China. In 1990 he became fully retired. In the following decade he taught kung fu in Shatin Pass Kwun Yam Shan Tsuen.


Lam Yue Fou does not view himself as a professional martial art teacher, but only teaching martial arts to friends and interested young people. He is eighty-six years old this year and most of his martial art friends from his early years are no longer around. His present students come from different walks of life – policemen, bus drivers, firemen, etc. – he teaches whoever is interested to learn.